You are here

Share:

Transition to Industry Fellowship (T2I)

Transition to Industry (T2I) Fellowship Branding - Therapeutics and vaccine symbol with a scientist

The NCI Transition to Industry (T2I) Fellowship aims to support NCI post-doctoral scientists as they advance an invention toward a regulatory milestone, clinical trials, and subsequent commercialization. The goal of this post-doctoral program is to nurture post-doctoral entrepreneurship and industry-focused research training. Post-doctoral fellows under this program will spend 80% of their time in a laboratory focused on invention development research, moving a basic science research invention from the “bench to commercialization.” In the remaining 20% of their time, trainees will take courses in business development, entrepreneurship, and small business grantsmanship.

Examples of the 20% training component may include graduate-level courses available within the NIH Technology Transfer community (Foundation for Advanced Education in the Sciences [FAES], Technology Transfer University [TTU]), and on work experience in the NCI Technology Transfer Center (TTC) and in the NCI Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) Development Center with mentoring by members from those two offices. This work experience will allow the postdoctoral fellow to interact with technology transfer professionals and SBIR Program Directors within NCI to gain exposure to and training in intellectual property, entrepreneurship, regulatory and other commercialization considerations, SBIR grantsmanship, lessons learned by seasoned small businesses, private sector fundraising, and ultimately invention commercialization.


Informational Session: Learn more about the T2I

  • Date: Wednesday, October 16, 2019
  • The live session was recorded and can now be played back using the following link: 

Eligibility: 

  • NCI CCR post-doctoral fellows - post-docs must also be either an inventor on a patent/patent application or working on a project for which a patent/patent application has been filed
  • Selection into the T2I program will not alter any visa requirements or appointment limits of the candidate

Stipend:

Standard NCI CCR post-doc salary policies apply.

Application Deadline:

December 9, 2019

How to Apply:

If you are interested in joining the T2I, please complete the application and other required materials using the link below and return to T2I_Fellowship@mail.nih.gov. Please be sure to submit all of the Required Additional Documentation listed in the application for full consideration.

Download and complete: Application and PI Approval Form

Program Objectives:

  • Nurture post-doctoral entrepreneurship and industry-focused research training
  • Accelerate the development of an early stage invention towards commercialization
  • Increase the commercialization potential of NCI inventions

Program Components: 

Post-doctoral fellows under this program will spend 80% of their time in a laboratory focused on invention development research, moving a basic science research invention from the “bench to commercialization.” In the remaining 20% of their time, trainees will take courses in business development, entrepreneurship, and small business grantsmanship.

Mentorship: 

Each fellow will be working with his/her laboratory mentor for the 80% laboratory component associated with the fellowship and with an assigned TTC training mentor for the 20% training component. Monthly meetings will be scheduled with the Laboratory Mentor and the TTC Mentoring Team. TTC mentors will include the program coordinator, Technology Transfer Manager, and Unit Supervisor of the Unit handling intellectual property matters for the Principal Investigator.

Administration: 

The T2I is managed and run by the NCI TTC, in partnership with the following NCI offices: SBIR Development Center, CCR, and Center for Cancer Training (CCT).

Curriculum:

Yr-1 Winter/Spring Semester

Yr-1 Summer/Fall Semester

Yr-2 Winter/Spring Semester

Yr-2 Summer/Fall Semester

 

 

Technology Transfer Ambassadors Program (TTAP) Boot Camp Course

 

 

 

TTC: Work experience on IP, Licensing, Agreement, Due Diligence Skills Training

 

 

SBIR Grantsmanship: (course to be determined and/or work experience in NCI SBIR Development Center/SBIR-I-Corps training (audit)

 

Presentation of 
Accomplishment

 

Technology Transfer University (TTU) Courses

 

 

FAES Technology Transfer Course

TECH 565:
Biomedical Business Development for Scientists

 

FAES Electives

List of FAES Elective Courses

Submission of Final Report

 

Posted
Tuesday, September 17, 2019
Updated
Friday, October 18, 2019